Image Map

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

What I've read lately


Well, I read A TON of books again last month. lol!  I've fallen into the habit of laying in bed and reading before my daughter gets up in the morning and for an hour or two after she goes to bed at night.  It's my relaxing time.

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
A romance with a happy ending is just what I need sometimes and this one didn't disappoint.  I'm such a sucker for the stories of people that have known each other for so long and end up together.  Those are always my favorite kind.  The main character was just a little bit too innocent and naive at times but I loved the male character, even if he is bone-headed sometimes.
(c/o NetGalley)

The Escape by Hannah Jayne
My rating: 3 out of 5 stars
Two people enter the woods and only one comes out but he doesn't remember what happened.  The ending wasn't very surprising but the story was still interesting...even though at some parts you wanted to grab Avery's shoulders and shake her for being so dense and naive.  Have you ever watched a horror movie and though why would any person do that?  Yeah, I had quite a few moments like that in this one.
(c/o NetGalley)

Sweet as Sin by JT Geissinger
My rating: 2 1/2 out of 5 stars
I really thought I was going to love this one because it's a romance involving a rock star but I just couldn't get around how aggressive and possessive he was with her.  He was ALWAYS angry.  I would describe their relationship as volatile most of the time.  I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either.
(c/o NetGalley)

Wicked White by Michelle A Valentine
My rating: 3 out of 5 stars
This is actually another romance story involving a rock star. lol!  I guess I had a theme this month.   This one was much different though.  He was a rock star trying to leave the fame and he was more of a gentleman type of guy, even if he occasionally had anger issues as well.  I loved the part of the story when they were in the trailer park together getting to know each other and falling in love, but after that there were just a bunch of dumb decisions that really annoyed me.
(c/o NetGalley)

Blurred Lines by Lauren Layne
My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
LOVED this one!  I've read a lot of romances lately trying to find a good love story and I really loved this one.  I felt all of the ups and downs of their friendship/relationship and wanted to scream at them on more than one occasion too. lol!  I'm a sucker for a love story about two people that have been friends for a long time first.
(c/o NetGalley)

The Heartbreakers by Ali Novak
My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Two five star books in a row?!  That never happens!! lol!  This was a young adult story/romance and I thought it was really sweet.  I loved all of the characters.  I found myself not wanting this one to end.  I just realized when I looked on Goodreads that this is actually going to be a series so I can't wait to read more about the characters.
(c/o NetGalley)

Goose by Dawn O'Porter
My rating: 1 out of 5 stars
I ended up not even finishing this one.  I'm not sure if I had a hard time connecting to the characters because this was the second book in the series and I didn't read the first one or what but I really couldn't get into this one.  The characters were supposed to be seniors but acted more like younger teens.
(c/o NetGalley)

Make You Burn by Megan Crane
My rating: 3 out of 5 stars
I always love a good Alpha male, especially when paired with another strong personality. I really enjoyed them together but was a little disappointed with the story. They made the big revelation that her father was murdered but then never really talked about it again. I guess she is probably just saving it for the next book in the series. It just seemed like it would have been better to have that resolved.
(c/o NetGalley)

The Memory Game by Sharon Sant
My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
I really enjoyed this one.  I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to connect to the characters since this a shorter book but I really did.  The ending was bittersweet but I really liked it a lot.  I think I would have been disappointed if it would have ended any other way.  I love the way they grew from two people who didn't really like each other to much more.  The character development was great in such a short book.  It had me tear up more than once too!
(c/o NetGalley)

Fire Me Up by Rachel Johns
My rating: 2 out of 5 stars
The was actually the second book after Make You Burn (that I listed above), so I was really excited to read another story like that.  Unfortunately, I ended up a bit disappointed.  The ending just didn't make much sense to me... I won't say much more than that because I hate spoilers.  All of that being said I am really looking forward to the third book.  I hope it's more like the first one in the series.
(c/o NetGalley)

What Janie Wants by Rhenna Morgan
My rating: 3 out of 5 stars
This is the first romance I've read when the woman was older than the man.  It's almost always the other way around, so that was refreshing.  I was great to see their real-life type of struggles.  Zade was definitely a really dreamy type of guy.  I'm a sucker for artist types.  I enjoyed seeing how Janie changed from such a closed up person to finding a way to love herself again.
(c/o NetGalley)

The Piano Man Project by Kat French
My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
This story really blew me away. It reminded me of Jojo Moyes "Me Before You" in a lot of ways and I loved it. I found myself laughing out loud during some parts and actually tearing up at others. A great heart-warming story. I expected this to just be a bubbly easy romantic read but I felt like it was much more than that.
(c/o NetGalley)

Eeny Meeny by M.J. Alridge
My rating: 2 out of 5 stars
"Two people are abducted, imprisoned, and left with a gun. As hunger and thirst set in, only one walks away alive."  This was a really dark thriller that left me depressed when I was done reading it.  I can't really even explain why without giving anything away but there were some things that I wanted answers to and never got and then waited for something "good" to happen and it never did. lol!
(c/o NetGalley)

Gypsy Beach by Jillian Neal
My rating: 3 out of 5 stars
Yep, another romance was needed after that last dark book.  I really like some parts of this book and then other parts had me rolling my eyes because they seemed so ridiculous.  It really made me crave a beach vacation though! lol
(c/o NetGalley)

The Major's Faux Fiancee by Erica Ridley
My rating: 3 out of 5 stars
Bartholomew was such a swoon-worthy guy.  I really loved his character but I didn't love Daphne as much.  She constantly felt sorry for herself, and then when anyone tried to get close to her or help her she pushed them away.  He had a really good reason to feel sorry for himself and she was constantly comparing random trivial things with his situation and I thought she was crazy.  I really loved the ending though.
(c/o NetGalley)

Simmering Ice by Veronica Forand
My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
A romance about a professional hockey player who lost his wife and a woman who has her own set of insecurities, falling in love. I really enjoyed their story a lot. Alec was such a sweetheart and I definitely understood Annie's insecurities. If I were in her shoes, I would probably feel insecure about my looks compared to the "model-looking" women too. I love series romances where you can read more about other characters in the book. I can't wait for the next one in the series.
(c/o NetGalley)

All It Takes by Sadie Monroe
My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
A girl returns to her hometown to clear out her hoarder mother's house when she is informed of her death.  While home she meets Preston, a man that made a terrible mistake in his past and just got out of prison on parole.  The only job he can get is to help her clear out the house.  I really enjoyed this one. I only took away a star because that ending left so many things unanswered.
(c/o NetGalley)

Candidate: A Love Story by Tracy Ewens
My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
I think I found my newest favorite author! I LOVED her first one (Premiere) and I loved this one too! At first I didn't realize that this was a series, until I got to the part where they mentioned going to Peter's show and I got all excited. What I loved most about both of these stories is how real the characters seem. There were so many really cute moments, like the testing of the cereals; but there were also serious moments too. Great story! I REALLY hope she continues with this series!
(c/o NetGalley)

Jax by Kelly Gendron
My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
A great a steamy read, but it also has a lot of real emotion in it too. I wasn't ready for the heat between the main characters. It was seriously off the charts! I love her girlfriends and Jax's brothers and I can't wait to read the next ones in the series. That cliffhanger involving Slade is going to have me wondering until the next book comes out. I need to know what happens!
(c/o NetGalley)

How to Get Dressed by Alison Freer
My rating: 3 out of 5 stars
This is a book written by a costume designer of the stars so I was really excited about it, but unfortunately I felt a bit let down.  It's more for how to alter your clothing to fit you and things like that.  Much more of a reference guide then outfit suggestions like I thought.  I wanted colorful pictures of outfit inspiration! lol
(c/o Blogging for Books)

Love Arrives in Pieces by Betsy St. Amant
My rating: 3 out of 5 stars
A story about 2 damaged people trying to fall in love again.  The main characters had known each other for years and had attempted a relationship before but they are trying to do it the right way this time.  It was great seeing them work through each of their issues but eventually Stella's issues just got to be so repetitive.  It was great to see her grow as the book went on.
(c/o BookLook Bloggers)


(I received free galley's of these titles for an honest review, all opinions are my own)

Image Map

27 comments:

  1. Your list of reads is always super long, go you!


    Adding The Piano Man Project, I loved Me Before You so I'm into a book that reminds you of that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you end up reading it, I would love to know what you think! I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap you've been busy!!! What's your secret? How do you find time for all this reading?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely trying The Piano Man Project. I might pick the one up about the hockey player too because why not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You rocked in the reading department this month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to check out The Piano Man Project and The Heartbreakers. I just hope it's better than If I Stay. That was the last YA romance book I read and I really didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great month for you indeed! Of the ones you liked, I thought I'd like Laid Out but the cover on Goodreads is so cheesy, LOL. Just goes to show not to judge a book by its cover right???

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have been in the mood for a romance! added the heartbreakers, the piano man project, and both Tracy Ewens books to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow you read a ton of books! I'll have to check out the Piano Man project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Dawn O'Porter as a television presenter. I haven't read her books yet, but intended to, and totally expected to love them. Now, you're the second blogger that I've seen in the last few months that was disappointed in one of her books. I hate that kind of disappointment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are my kind of reader so I just added you on GR and clicked on four of these to add to my TBR. I;m especially interested in the older woman romance, I read one that I'm pretty sure also has the name Jane in the title but it's not by the same author. Jane's Melody by Ryan Winfield and then there was a second book that involves the mother. Simmering Ice, Laid Out, Jax and Blurred Lines just got added, thanks for the recs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't heard of any of these books, but now I've found a few new books that I've added to my to-read list on Goodreads! Wow, you read a lot! I'm super impressed and super jealous haha! I'm glad you read a lot of great books this month! I'm always happier after I know I've read a fantastic book!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have been busy!!!!!! I am favoriting The Piano Man Project :) I am currently reading "A Trial for Grace" ... and not liking it ... trying to force my way through it! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Escape sounds good, going to request it. The Heartbreakers is being added too. Bummer you didn't like Eeny Meeny more, i liked the darkness and it is going to be a series so maybe some of your questions will be answered in the next book of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are on fire with the books this summer Julie! Are they all pretty quick reads? I see you get most of these via NetGalley-how exactly does that work? Are they eBooks?

    ReplyDelete
  16. haha yeah, I've found that reading really relaxes me so I've been reading a lot before bed. Most are pretty quick reads around 200-350 pages, I think. NetGalley is awesome, another blogger told me about it. They give you free galleys of the books to read in exchange for a review. I used the Kindle app on my phone for a while but now I have a Kindle Paperwhite

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really really enjoyed The Piano Man Project, it definitely had me laughing at some of the stuff they said and did but later would have me teared up. Really good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Reading has been such a great way for me to relax lately so now I'm addicted. lol! There were a lot of good ones this month...I think I've been stuck in a romance type phase. lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have definitely been stuck in the romance phase for a while now. I can't wait to see what you think of those books. They were definitely my favorites for the month!

    ReplyDelete
  20. hahaha I am totally guilty of judging books by their cover. I do it all the time and it gets me in trouble. lol! Sometimes I find good ones that way

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never read If I Stay, I've heard mixed thoughts about it. I really enjoyed both of those ones, I hope you do too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. hahaha thank you! I've been a reading machine lately! It's so relaxing...and I will blame the constant rain too. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would love to hear what you think of The Piano Man Project, I thought it was so good.

    ReplyDelete
  24. hahaha! I wake up around 5:30am when my husband's alarm goes off and I read until my daughter wakes up around 7:30am and she goes to bed around 8:30pm at night so I read before I go to bed too. I have the Kindle app on my phone too so I read while I'm waiting at dr's appts or whatever too....sometimes when she naps. I also read really fast. It relaxes me =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'll join the line of everyone adding The Piano Man Project!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have The Piano Man Project and am waiting to read- I will have to move it up on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Woah! You totally rocked it last month. If I need a fun romance, I certainly know where to come for recommendations!

    ReplyDelete